So, after our time at Penfolds’ earlier today, we left the hotel to go do some exploring of Adelaide.
As we walked around, we went by the ‘South Australian Visitor Information Centre‘.
We decided to check it out and find out about places of interest we could possibly visit tomorrow.
We crossed the street and ended up at Adelaide Railway Station, which was all done up and looked ready for Christmas!
With the casino having no admission fee, we decided to go check it out. 😛
We weren’t lucky – we checked out the roulette ‘station’ and every number we guessed was not the winning number; we really mean ‘every‘ number…
And that says much about our luck, so we didn’t stay for long!
That’s the Parliament House, which is designed in the Classical Style, constructed from Kapunda marble and West Island granite. The western section of the building, housing the House of Assembly Chamber, was completed in 1889 and formally opened by the Speaker of the House of Assembly, the Honourable J.C. Bray on 5th June that year. The siting, design and construction of Parliament House caused much controversy, and interestingly, the great dome originally intended was never built. The construction of the eastern section, housing the Legislative Council Chamber, completed the building and commemorated the Centenary of South Australia. A generous gift was made by Sit Langdon Bonython towards this work. The completed Parliament House was open by the Governor-General of Australia and former Governor of South Australia, Lord Gowrie, on 5th June 1939, precisely fifty years after the opening of the western section.
How lovely it is to have the ducks run free like that… 😀
And so we sat down and took in the sights and sounds for a bit! 😉
We walked on and came by the Adelaide Bridge.
“The Adelaide Bridge was erected under the supervision of the City Engineer, Mr. J.L. Hyndman. It was opened and named by His Excellency the Administrator, Sir. W.W. Cairns, K.C.M.G., on the 25th April, 1877. The span, 100 feet [30.5m] long and 54 feet [16.5m] wide, provided a roadway width 40 feet [12.2m] wide and footpath 7 feet [2.1m] wide.”
View of Adelaide Bridge from the other side, after we’ve crossed it.
And straight ahead we have St. Peter’s Cathedral!
Hello from St. Peter’s Cathedral! 😛
What welcomed us when we entered the cathedral,
Nice, long aisle down the cathedral.
And to the right of the entrance,
A wide array of pamphlets.
We had a “guided” tour around the cathedral.
On the left, facing the altar, is the South African War Memorial Tablet:
“The Nave was completed and consecrated on 14 July 1901. The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (later King George V and Queen Mary), grandparents to Queen Elizabeth II, were present, and the Duke unveiled the South Africn War Memorial Tablet which is on the wall by the Wardens’ Stalls.”
The window high above the main entrance is the ‘Rose Window’, made by Montgomery and Grimble. The stone work of this window is a copy of one of the rose windows in Chartres Cathedral in France, which was built by the Knights Templars and was the first Gothic cathedral completed.
The windows ‘below’ are the nave windows, all but one of these were made by the firm of William Kempe. Their design is deliberately Mediaeval or Gothic in style. The figures show people who were important in the history of the church in Britain. The one window not made by Kempe (middle window on the left hand side, distinguished by the use of red glass), is of King Edward the Confessor. It was also made by Montgomery and Grimble in Adelaide.
The windows ‘above’ are clerestory windows, designed, made and installed by Adelaide artist Cedar Prest between 1991 and 1993.
This piece of Westminster Abbey in London (also dedicated to St. Peter) was given in 1966 to mark the Abbey’s 900th birthday.
This is the Canterbury Cross, dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on 15 June 1935 at the Empire Service held in Canterbury Cathedral, England. Crosses like this were given to all Anglican Cathedrals in the British Empire and the U.S.A.
This is the Christus Rex, made by local sculptor Voitre Marek for the chapel at St. Barnabas Theological College at Belair, and relocated here when the College moved. The figure shows Christ as the sacrifice for humankind, the King of Heaven and the Great High Priest.
The window, above the St Barnabas door, is the Magdalene Window, which acknowledges and celebrates the role of women in the Scriptures, in the history of the Church and in the forefront of social change. The central picture in the window is of Jesus’ tomb with the angels and the graveclothes, surrounded by Mary Magdalene and the other women, all enfolded in the encircling arms of the risen Jesus. It was designed and installed in 2001 by David Wright of Melbourne.
This is the Nave Altar, designe dby Adelaide architect, Susan Scrymgour, and made locally by Norman Turner and Nottage in 1992. The top is made of American oak and the base of English oak with fine carving and gilding. In line with the liturgical reforms of the late 20th century, the Nave altar brings the celebration of the Eucharist into the midst of the gather congregation.
This is the lectern, in the traditional shape of an eagle and made of brass. The Scriptures are read from here during services. The lectern was given in 1876 by English friends of Bishop Shorts to commemorate the Jubilee of his Ordination.
Chancel woodwork was locally carved by Norman Turner and Nottage in 1926 and made of English oak.
The Choir windows, above the choir stalls, were also designed by Cedar Prest and were made with the collaboration of Lance Feeney of Sydney.
Hanging from the arch above is the rood, the old English word ‘rood’ means ‘the cross on which Jesus died’. This rood is a depiction of Jesus on the Cross, with Mary his Mother and John, the Beloved Disciple at the foot of the Cross. Made of Queensland Maple by Hungarian-Australian sculptor Andor Meszaros, the Rood was in stalled in 1955.
The Bishop’s Throne (or Cathedra) were designed and made locally in 1926. The prayer desk bears the carved Coats of Arms of the Diocese of Adelaide and the Bonython family. The platform and canopy were designed and built locally in 1992.
Behind the Bishop’s throne is the Sacristy, built of English oak and installed in 1951 to commemorate the centenary of the Diocese, the Sacristy is where the ministers prepare for services. The multi-panelled painting in the Sacristy is a print of the altar piece ‘The Adoration of the Lamb’ by Jan Van Eyck in Ghent cathedral, Belgium.
Up above where we stood was the Lantern Tower. In days before electricity or even gas light, the Lantern Tower was designed to let light into this part of the church and is the highest point in Butterfield’s original plan. In E. J. Woods’ revision of the design, the spires of the West front, topped by crosses, became the highest point.
This is the Dean’s Chapel, dedicated to St. Alban, St. Cuthbert and the saints, martyrs and missionaries of the Anglican Church. Set into the top of the altar is a stone from St. Cuthbert’s Cathedral, Durham, England. This chapel is used daily for Morning Prayer. The old Roman brick in the perspex case was sent from the Cathedral at St. Alban’s England.
On both sides of the Santuary are terracotta candlesticks, used in 1904 at the funeral of the eminent English artist G.F.Watts, were made by his wife, the potter Mary Watts. Mary was a leader in the English Arts and Crafts Movement.
The High Altar was designed by Walter Bagot and installed in 1937. The top contains a square of marble from the holy island of Iona in Scotland.
The Reredos, was designed by English architect T.H. Lyon and built of English oak at St. Sidwell’s Art Works, Exeter, England. It was dedicated in 1910. The central panel depicts Christ in majesty. The four coloured panels beneath depict scenes from the life of St. Peter.
The ashes of Bishop Reed are interred beneath this brass plaque. Bishop Reed was Dean of Adelaide (1953 – 1957) and was the first Australian born Bishop of Adelaide (1957 – 1973) and the first Archbishop of Adelaide (1973 – 1974). The coats of arms on the pews in the Nave are largely as a result of Bishop Reed’s interest in heraldry.
The brass memorial plaque set in the Sanctuary floor to the left of the High Altar is a memorial to Bishop Short, the first Bishop of Adelaide, and was given by his wife. Bishop Short returned to England in 1882 where he died the following year and was buried.
The upper icon is an old Serbian icon depicting St. Nicholas. The lower icon, a copy of the Russian icon, ‘Our Lady, the Mother of God of Vladimir’, was painted in 1993 by Leonard Brown, a priest monk of the Russian Orthodox Church. It depicts the Virgin Mary and the Infant Jesus. Candles are lit here as an aid to prayer.
Seen en route to the Lady Chapel,
Here’s the Lady Chapel!
The Lady Chapel is used daily for services and provides a place for personal prayer and medication. Built in 1904 and dedicated to the honour of Mary, the Mother of Jesus, who is often called ‘Our Lady’, hence the name ‘Lady Chapel, it was the last part of the Cathedral fabric to be built. Behind the altar is Butterfield’s original reredos for the High Altar. The steps leading to the altar are of Sicilian marble.
The statue of Mary is of enamelled and oxidised copper and was made by the Czech-Australian sculptor Voitre Marek.
On the wall by the entrance door is a painting, Foreshadowing the Cross by Adelaide artist Penny Dowie. On the wall opposite the entrance are carved giltwood screens.
The painting depicts the teenage Jesus as a young carpenter, carrying on his shoulder a length of timber, which throws a shadow in the shape of a cross.
The carved giltwood screens are reputedly from Sion House in London. The ornately-carved letters IHS are the first three letters of the name ‘Jesus’ in Greek.
We could write a request for prayer!
And we did 😀
Thank God for this pre-honeymoon trip! 😀
That a model of St. Peter’s Cathedral.
One more picture of us before we leave…
A magnet I bought – yes, I have this habit of buying magnets at every ‘country’/foreign state I visit… 😛 And it’s all going to be displayed in our home in future! 😀
We spy something pink!
And decided to check it out…
It suddenly started drizzling, so out we whipped the grand prix-ish brolly.
We also decided to play around with the smile detector on my camera; how wide our ‘smiles’ had to be to have it detected by the ‘wide smile detector’.
We took a walk back to the hotel, this time ’round on the other side of the Adelaide Bridge.
“This monument is dedicated to the women of South Australia who served in the Defence Forces of Australia during World War II (1939 – 1946).”
The ‘Pathway of Honour‘.
Australia Chocolates, anyone? 😉
We’re hungry, so it’s time to make our way across the road for dinner!
The logo and menu was too much like Burger King’s, and we wondered if they were related…
And yes, they are related!
Parking is pretty expensive…
D has a shop here? 😛
It’s really pricey to catch a movie! AUD19 per pax 😐
We went searching for an interesting bar to chill out at…
To no avail 😦
We then ended up in a mall…
How cool is it to have seasonal martini mixes!
J was craving ‘Hungry Jacks’, so we went for dinner there.
Guess what’s in Hungry Jack’s…
It’s so BK, but it’s actually Hungry Jack’s!
Fairy tale castle-like building spotted!
We decided to go to Woolworths.
Yes, it’s a supermarket, but that’s how early the shops close, leaving us with a supermarket to shop at… 😐
Authentic Australian snacks we bought…
We also went to BWS 😉
J thought this was interesting…
Yes, it’s 730pm and malls are closed already! 😐
About 8pm and it’s still so bright!
So off we went for a swim!
The hubby just saved a boy from drowning, bravo!!
Snacking over movie… 🙂
Day pass we purchased for our day out tomorrow 🙂
We’ll blog about tomorrow soon 😛