Today, we successfully cooked Char Siew Wan Ton Egg Noodles (叉烧云吞面 / chā shāo yún tūn miàn) for lunch! 😀
We marinated the meat for 24 hours before cooking today.
• 500g pork shoulders
• 4 tablespoons honey
• 4 tablespoons Hoi Sin Sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice cooking wine
• 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon five spice powder (五香粉)
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
• Wanton (as many as you like)
Sauce for egg noodles:
• 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 3 teaspoons water
• chilli (as much as you like)
1. Mix honey, Hoi Sin Sauce, rice cooking wine, ground black pepper, five spice powder, sesame oil, sugar and garlic in a bowl:
2. Poke meat with fork to allow marinade to permeate meat easily:
3. Marinate meat:
4. Ensure meat is entirely covered in marinade:
5. Leave meat to marinate for 24 hours. (If time is an issue, just leave meat to marinate for 15 minutes then cook thereafter.)
6. Lay meat on heated pan and pour in sauce:
7. Turn meat every 10 minutes.
8. Repeat Step 7 until sauce is caramelized:
9. Leave char siew to cool on plate while you cook egg noodles and wonton.
10. Be sure to break the bundles of egg noodles (easily available at Asian grocers) up before cooking:
Mix dark soy sauce, sesame oil, ground black pepper, oyster sauce, honey, water and chilli on plate then add cooked noodles to plate, mix well.
11. Cook wonton then add to plate.
12. Slice char siew.
Thickness of char siew according to own preference – we obviously like our char siew thick and chunky. 😉
12. Serve on plate and enjoy your meal! 😉
P.S. We chose to use pork shoulders as J doesn’t like meat that is too fatty (so use pork belly if you take fatty meat and like your char siew to be juicy); we didn’t choose pork loin because D finds that meat too tough (so use pork loin if you like your char siew chewy and meaty). BUT, that said, it’s really up to you what meat you use – you can even use chicken breast! 🙂