This evening, we decided to try cooking 烤全鱼 (kǎo quán yú), which we had a lot when we were in Shanghai – dinner on the first night we arrived, lunch on NYE, dinner on NYD and many more times thereafter:
• 2 Tablespoons Chilli Bean Sauce (We used Lee Kum Kee Chili Bean Sauce, which we purchased from the Asian grocer (UFM at Indooroopilly Shopping Centre))
• 1 tablespoon Hoi Sin sauce
• 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
• 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
• 6 cups of water
• Black peppercorns
• Vegetables (variety and quantity according to preference) – we used soy bean sprouts, carrots, chopped garlic and onion, Enoki mushrooms
1. Mix chilli bean sauce, Hoi Sin sauce, Oyster sauce and light soy sauce with water.
2. Lay pan with vegetables and sprinkle black peppercorns on top:
3. Pour sauce over vegetables:
Add more water if necessary (fluid level should cover vegetables).
4. Add fish.
5. Leave to boil.
6. Tuck in when vegetables and fish are cooked.
D thinks that the sauce was not flavourful enough, maybe we should have used fish/chicken stock to make the sauce?
J has no comments about the sauce because all she tasted was chilli. 😛
It’s a really simple meal to prepare and it’s really about adding whatever you’d like to eat! 😉