This week seems to be “Singapore food week” for us – We have had Char Siew Egg Noodles twice over 4 days and today, we’re trying out Shredded Chicken with Mushroom Egg Noodles (鸡丝蘑菇面 / jī sī mó gu miàn)!
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon rice cooking wine
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
• 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
• 1 tablespoons sesame oil
• Mushrooms (quantity according to preference)
• Mushroom “water” (see Step 1 below)
• Chicken “water” (see Step 2 below)
1. Soak mushrooms in hot water until soft:
(Keep the mushroom “water” for use later.)
2. Cook chicken breast in boiling water. (Set aside chicken “water” for use in sauce.)
3. Remove chicken breast when cooked, set aside and leave to cool. (Shred chicken breast after it’s cool.)
4. Mix sugar, rice cooking wine, oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce in bowl.
5. Slice mushrooms:
(Or you may choose to leave them whole.)
6. Add water from soaking mushroom and cooking chicken to mixture. (We added 40 tablespoons of each – somehow just ended up adding 40 tablespoons of each as we added to the mixture “by feel”!)
7. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in frying pan.
8. Simmer mixture and sliced mushroom in pan for 5 minutes:
9. Add cornstarch solution (1 teaspoon of cornstarch to remaining water from soaking mushroom and mix) to frying pan and simmer for 5 minutes:
10. Cook egg noodles – dunk egg noodles in boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove and run egg noodles under running tap water for 20 seconds. Cook in boiling water for another 30 seconds. Drain noodles and serve on plate:
11. Add shredded chicken:
12. Add mushrooms:
13. Drizzle sauce over:
14. Tuck in when it’s piping hot!
We think it’s pretty well done! 😛 But of course, it’ll be better with more sauce; also, maybe we should have used chicken stock to prepare the sauce so that we have more ‘chicken flavour’ to it…