D had friends over to study and prepare for their upcoming mid-semester examinations this weekend and so we decided to cook ‘Klang Bak Kut Teh‘ (Pork Ribs Soup) for the 5 of us – the spices are pre-packed and it’ll be convenient to prepare as well as fast to eat (the guys can then quickly return to their mugging!).
• 500g pork ribs
• 250g pork loin (J likes loin meat)
• herbal and spice mix
• 3 whole garlic
• 2L water
• 1.5 tablespoons dark soy sauce
• 1.5 tablespoons light soy sauce
• 1.5 tablespoons oyster sauce
• 1 tablespoon wolfberry
• 1 can button mushrooms
• 1 pack Enoki Mushrooms
We used this pre-packed herbal and spice mix:
1. Boil 3 whole garlic and 2 satchets in water for 30 minutes:
2. Add meat, wolfberry and mixed sauces (1.5 tablespoons each of dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce) to soup and boil for 30 minutes:
3. Add button mushrooms and boil for 10 minutes.
4. Switch off heat source and let soup sit for 5 hours. (J started cooking since morning, she likes soup that’s been brewed a long time, but if time is an issue, skip this step.)
5. Add enoki mushrooms and boil for 10 minutes:
6. Tuck in to piping hot, yummylicious bak kut teh!
The soup turned out really well and the portion was just nice for 5 of us; we’re definitely going to cook this again! Especially at times when we miss home… 😉