I’m down with a chest infection and so decided that we should have congee or porridge for dinner, here’s what I did:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2/3 head of garlic (cut according to own preference)
• 1 onion (cut according to own preference)
• 12 dried shiitake mushroom (soaked in hot water and then sliced, keep “mushroom water” for use later)
• 1 carrot (cut according to own preference)
• 500gm chicken mince
• broccoli (cut into small florets)
• 1L chicken stock (2 teaspoons chicken stock : 1L water)
• 2 eggs
• 500 mL water
• 1.5 cup of brown rice
1. Using frying pan, brown garlic in olive oil.
2. Cook onion in frying pan.
3. Add sliced mushrooms and stir-fry.
4. Add chicken mince and cook.
5. Rinse brown rice in pot.
6. Transfer mixture from frying pan into pot.
7. Add chicken stock and “mushroom water”.
8. Simmer over low heat until brown rice is cooked according to thickness preferred. (Add more water if necessary).
9. Add broccoli and simmer a little longer.
10. Beat eggs and mix into congee:
Top your congee with pork floss, fried shallots, pepper or chilli for more taste:
Enjoy your warm, soothing bowl of brown rice congee! 😉